J. P. Guivier
The oldest violin dealer in England.
J P Guivier & Co is one of Britain’s foremost violin dealers and restorers, although the founder, a Frenchman named Jean Prosper Guivier, originally established the company in 1863 to manufacture strings. On his death in 1870 the business was based at Golden Square, just off London’s fashionable Regent Street. Passing into English ownership it was purchased by a Mrs. Cohn, formerly Miss Hawkes of the company Hawkes & Son, later to become Boosey & Hawkes. Under her guidance and leadership the business expanded and grew to include the sale and restoration of violins and bows, thus instigating the move to larger premises at 2 Great Marlborough Street. From 1918 to 1960 Mrs. Cohn’s son took over the running of the family business, moving the premises once again during the early 1940s to its current address at 99 Mortimer Street, and becoming Managing Director when it became a limited company in 1952. Since the 1960s J. P. Guivier has been moulded into the successful and thriving business it is today. Firstly by Alan Wilks, who served with the firm from 1947 to 1993, his latter thirty years as Managing Director. Today Robin Hamilton and Richard White jointly run the business, and with over forty years of combined expertise offer comprehensive advice on all matters relating to the world of violins.
99 Mortimer Street
|Telephone:||+44 (0)20 7580 2560|